This Jesuit ring, dating from between 1750 and 1800, was found inside a longhouse with other trade items. The initials “IHS” were the official monogram for the Society of Jesus, founded by St. Ignatius Loyola (1491–1556). The three letters stand for the Latin words Iesus Hominis Salvator or “Jesus Saviour of Mankind.” Beneath them are three radiating spikes representing the Crucifixion. Jesuit priests gave these rings to religious converts as a reward for learning prayers and expressing their belief in Christian teachings. The rings were valued trade items for many Aboriginal people.